The Global Talent Visa is a UK immigration category that came into effect on 20 February 2020 which is particularly designed for promising individuals to work in a qualifying field or run a business in the field of expertise. The applicant must be endorsed as a recognised leader (exceptional talent), or as an emerging leader (exceptional promise) by the UK Endorsement body.
The endorsing bodies are:
- The Royal Society (for Science and Medicine),
- The Royal Academy of Engineering,
- The British Academy (for humanities),
- Tech Nation (for digital technology),
- Arts Council England (for arts and culture), and
- UK Research and Innovation (for research applicants).
The Difference between Global Talent Visa & Tier 1 Exceptional Talent Visa
- Global Talent Visa has paved the way for the brightest talents in the form of global leaders and leaders of tomorrow to allow them to incorporate their cutting-edge expertise, creativity, and innovation in order to maintain the UK’s position of eminence in the global economy.
The concept of Global Talent streamlined and further expanded the rules of the predecessor i.e. Tier 1 Exceptional Talent Visa.
- Tier 1 Exceptional Talent Visa was functioning under the PBS Category of Visas whereas, under the current system, Global Talent Visa does not follow the Point Based System (PBS).
- Under the Tier 1 Exceptional Talent Visa, there were a limited number of designated competent bodies that were being assigned under the UK Immigration Rules. However, the Global Talent Visa renamed these bodies as endorsing bodies that carry out the same function in addition to UK Research and Innovation (UKRI).
The differences between Tier 1 Exceptional Talent Visa and Global Talent Visa have simplified the way for the best tech talent to obtain the UK’s most flexible visa i.e. Global Talent Visa.
The Global Talent Visa guidance states that the applicant must fall under the Global Talent Exceptional Talent or Global Talent Exceptional Promise or UK Research and Innovation Endorsed Funder Option. Therefore, the applicant must be endorsed either as a leader (exceptional talent) or as an emerging leader (exceptional promise), or under the UK Research and Innovation endorsed funder option. The applications will be closely examined by endorsing bodies relevant to the qualifying field of the applicants.
Application Process of Global Talent Visa
The applicant has to undergo two stages of the applications:
Stage 1: Endorsement Application
The first stage involves the submission of application in order to obtain endorsement from the relevant endorsing bodies. The application must be made to the Home Office, however, the endorsing body is the actual decision-maker in the first stage of the endorsement application. These endorsing bodies will assess whether or not to issue an endorsement. The endorsement decision will be directly sent to the Home Office.
Stage 2: Immigration Application
This stage involves the assessment of the Immigration aspects by the Home Office. The Home Office will also examine if general grounds for refusal apply.
Benefits of Global Talent Visa
- Global Talent Visa offers the highest level of flexibility as compared to its predecessor. An applicant can change the roles without actually notifying the Home office. The applicant can easily enter into self-employment and can also earn additional income from the other sources.
The source may or may not be related to the field of research in which the applicant was actually endorsed.
- Please note that there is no minimum salary threshold in order to be eligible for a Global Talent Visa.
- Dependents can be included in the online application. They can also extend under the Global Talent Visa.
- The applicant can also seek Indefinite Leave to Remain after staying in the country for 3 years in the UK.
Still unsure about a Global Talent Visa? Look no further than A Y & J Solicitors which is a boutique UK Immigration firm with a decade of experience recommended by Legal 500. Our qualified team of immigration solicitors can provide advice, assistance, and representation right from endorsement application to immigration application. For further information about our immigration service, please email us at [email protected] or Whatsapp us on +44 7448 5656 70.