SSC stands for Staff Selection Commission; its recruitment comprises computer-based and skill tests. Once you qualify in the computer test, then only you become eligible to appear for the skill test.
Stenography is the ability to create shorthand notes, typewriting, and following transcription of them. Let us know about the selection process for the stenography skill test of Grade C and D.
The exam is conducted every year by Staff Selection Commission (SSC) and comprises three distinct phases. Here are the stages of SSC Stenographer
Stage 1– It is an online exam that consists of objective-type multiple questions.
Stage 2- This is the skill test, which the SSC conducts.
Stage 3– Final selection process.
SSC Stenographer Exam
- Prospects are selected for the skill test only if they qualify in the Computer-based Examination.
- BYJU’S Exam Prep is one of the best platforms that helps you in exam preparation. Visit the site to learn more about it.
- The skill test conducted is of qualifying nature, and the Commission sets the qualifying standards in the skill test for various categories of students.
- Once you pass the skill test, you will be recommended for appointment by the Commission based on the total marks you obtain in the Computer-based Examination.
- It is essential for you to know that the Stenography Skill Test is compulsory for students of all categories.
Skill Test for SSC Stenographer
The skill test comprises various elements, such as typing, word processing, data entry, and transcription. Students appearing for the skill test need to maintain a few particular standards that the officials fix for passing the skill test. They have to make sure and avoid as many errors as possible. Let us know about that in detail –
The skill test comprises mainly two stages-
Shorthand Writing for SSC Stenogrpahe
This is a process of writing quickly by using symbols and abbreviations. This is used majorly for dictation. Here you will get dictation for 10 minutes in either English or Hindi, and you will have to make notes using the shorthand method on a sheet.
The speed of the dictation will be-
- 100 words per minute (wpm) if you are applying for the post of Stenographer Grade ‘C.’
- It will be 80 wpm if you have applied for the position of Stenographer Grade ‘D.’
Text written in Stage 1 will be used again in the skill test in stage 2.
Transcription and Typewriting
Transcription of a speech or conversation is a written text based on a recording or notes. Here, you will be required to transcribe the dictated notes given to you on the computer.
Skill Test Pattern for SSC Stenographer Exam
Here is the exam pattern for Stenographer Grade C & Grade D-
|Category||Stenographer Grade ‘C’||Stenographer Grade ‘D’|
|Dictation||10 minutes @ 100 wpm||10 minutes @ 80 wpm|
|Transcription (English)||40 minutes||50 minutes|
|Transcription (Hindi)||55 minutes||65 minutes|
Errors in SSC Steno Skill Test
Prospects will be able to trace the admissible error limit as well; here it is –
- For general candidates, i.e., UR, it is 05-07%
- For OBC candidates, it is 06-08%
- For SC/ST candidates, it is 07-10%
Byju’s Exam Prep is specially curated for the preparation of the stenographer exam. The study material is designed by including the latest news, current affairs, audio-video recorded lectures, and exam-focused topics, notes, and articles. Therefore, you get all of this on one website.
You can register with our Stenography exam preparation to keep track of your progress. It will keep you updated on all the current affairs from every month and MCQs of more than 150 samples to better your practice for excellent results.
Stay Connect with our education blog India