Invisalign Vs. Braces: Which Is Best?

Did you know that an estimated 35 percent of people have properly aligned teeth? The remaining 65% won’t all need braces, but many of them will, and others will just want the aesthetic benefits that straight teeth provide, even if they aren’t experiencing dental health problems.

Are you getting ready to seek out an orthodontist for yourself or your child to fix crooked teeth?

You have more teeth straightening options than ever. For most people, the choice comes down to Invisalign vs. braces. Which should you choose?

Let’s talk about it. Read on to learn all about the pros and cons of these two treatment methods. 

Benefits Of Traditional Braces

Traditional braces are what most people think of when they’re trying to get straighter teeth. An orthodontist places brackets and wires on the patient’s teeth and regularly tightens them until they reach proper alignment.

Braces are often the most affordable option. They also work for almost every orthodontic problem, no matter how severe.

Braces are fantastic for children. Because many children have braces, an individual child won’t stand out (even if they feel out of place at first). Children are also unable to remove or lose their braces.

Downsides Of Traditional Braces

Many people don’t like how visible traditional braces are. Even ceramic braces can be seen from a relatively close distance, and this makes some people (especially adults) feel self-conscious. 

Traditional braces can also be more uncomfortable than clear aligners (though all orthodontic treatment options will cause discomfort). The metal can scratch up the patient’s gums. 

Benefits Of Invisalign

Invisalign clear aligners have been growing in popularity. They’re getting more affordable and effective as time goes on, so they’re now a great option for almost anyone who needs to straighten their teeth. 

The top benefit of Invisalign is that it’s subtle. It’s not, however, invisible. Patients will usually have attachments (and sometimes rubber bands) that will make the trays visible from up close. 

They’re not visible in photos and many people won’t notice that the patient has aligners in at all unless they’re within talking distance.

You also don’t have to give up any of your favorite foods or drinks. You take the aligners out while eating and put them back in later!

Downsides Of Invisalign

While Invisalign is a good option for most orthodontic problems, it still has a narrower range than traditional braces. Some orthodontists may recommend traditional braces to patients that they’re unsure that they’ll be able to treat with Invisalign, or who would need lengthy Invisalign treatment times. 

Invisalign is great for adults or mature teenagers, but it’s not as good of an option for children. Patients need to be responsible enough to remove their aligners to eat and put them back in right away (after brushing their teeth). They need to wear aligners for 20-22 hours per day, which children may struggle with.

Children in school are prone to losing their aligners by accidentally throwing them away after lunch.

Invisalign Vs. Braces: Which Is Right For You?

When it comes to Invisalign vs. braces, they both have their pros and cons. For adults and older teens, Invisalign may be the best option. For younger children, braces are the way to go.

Talk to your orthodontist today to determine which treatment option is right for you.

For more helpful articles about health and more, visit the rest of our site.