Designing and building a home is no easy task; it requires careful planning, decision-making, and attention to detail. For many, the principles of astrology and Vastu, an ancient Indian system of architecture, serve as essential guides during this process. As a renowned Jyotish (astrologer) suggests, these traditional knowledge systems can significantly influence the construction and layout of your home.
Vastu and Astrology: Uniting Deities and Directions
According to Vastu, the eight cardinal directions are governed by specific deities. Hence, the spatial design within a home should align with these divine guardians. Similarly, astrology associates each direction with a planet, further influencing how spaces should be utilized.
Astrology: A Compass for Life’s Journey
Today, astrology serves as a tool for personal introspection and spiritual exploration. Religions such as Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and Jainism determine significant events and festivals based on astrological calendars. Astrological consultations are commonly sought for making important life decisions, problem-solving, and predicting prospects for marriage, health, career, wealth, and more.
The increasing appeal of astrology in contemporary times can be attributed to the increasing levels of anxiety, stress, and uncertainty that permeate modern life. Seeking astrological advice often provides hope for improved health, successful careers, harmonious marital life, and stronger family bonds.
Vastu: Architectural Principles for Harmonious Living
Initially conceived for temple architecture, Vastu principles have gradually found their way into residential, educational, and commercial buildings due to their perceived effectiveness.
While contemporary Vastu has evolved to meet the demands of the modern world, it remains rooted in Vedic sutras. The primary tenets—building shapes and orientations—continue to dominate the principles of modern Vastu. The architectural forms can range from square, wheel-shaped, bar-shaped to rectangular plots, while the orientations correspond to Agneya (South East), Nyruthi (South-west), Eesanya (North-East), and Vayavya (North-West).
Vastu Guidelines for a Harmonious Home
- Avoid using dark colors like black or red for your living room walls.
- Do not place a mirror directly opposite the bed.
- Keep medicines away from the kitchen.
- Avoid having a common wall between the bathroom and Pooja room (worship room).
- Consider placing a tastefully designed nameplate outside the main entrance.
Astrology and Vastu: Planetary Influences on Home Layout and Life Aspects
Astrology and Vastu converge in associating different areas of a home with specific planets:
- Mars and Venus: Mars governs the south, and Venus presides over the kitchen area. Ideally, the kitchen should be situated in the south-eastern (Agneya) corner. Misplacement of the kitchen may lead to health or financial problems.
- Sun: Ruling the east, the Sun dictates the placement of the main entrance. Ensure large windows in the east to allow ample sunlight into the house.
- Mercury: As the ruler of the north, Mercury governs areas like the guest room, verandah, and living room. A well-ventilated, well-lit hall, preferably attached to a bedroom, is considered auspicious.
- Saturn: Governing the west, Saturn implies that areas like the pantry or storeroom should be located in this direction. Storing foodstuffs here can attract wealth.
- Jupiter: Jupiter governs the northeast direction, which is considered auspicious for placing the Pooja room.
- Moon: The moon rules the left side of the house, associated with the daughter or mother of the house. A cluttered and dark left side can lead to health problems for the wife.
- Rahu: Rahu, governing the southwest direction, indicates that unwanted materials should be stored here. This direction is suitable for placing a toilet.
- Ketu: Like Jupiter, Ketu also governs the northeastern direction, dictating the placement of staircases, back doors, and lavatories.
Astrology and Vastu are intrinsically connected in various traditional practices such as Lal Kitab and Vedic Astrology. These systems, when understood and applied, can cultivate harmony, prosperity, and well-being within the home. To explore these subjects in greater depth and see how they might benefit you, consider consulting with a reputable astrologer in India for an enlightening online chat.