Fabrics are like colors in as much as there are so many. When you are looking to acquire this year’s prom dress, it isn’t just style and color you have to think about. Every fabric has unique properties; some flow better than others, while some hold their position well. Texture is often overlooked when talking about cloth and with reflectivity, almost anything goes. If you are trying to decide on a fabric for your new prom gown, here are some things to bear in mind.
Fabrics For Body Types
Certain fabrics favor body shapes.
- Hour Glass Figures – Stay away from satin. Opt for a body-hugging fabric like polyester or a cotton mix.
- Tall And Slim – If you are tall and slim, avoid body hugging fabrics that will accentuate the features you are trying to balance out. Satin, silk or chiffon build volume and that’s what you want with a rectangular body shape. You can also accentuate your figure and height with long light blue prom dresses.
- Broad Shoulders And Slim Waist – The inverted triangular shape that many athletes have are ideal for flowy fabrics like chiffon. Avoid clingy fabrics, and you’ll be fine.
- Apple Shape – Again, flowy fabrics are right for you, while fabrics that cling to your body are not advised, as they show your shape more. It is important to feel good about what you wear, especially when attending a formal event like the prom. When looking at dress styles, choose one that flatters your body shape.
- Pear Shape – If your lower half is prominent, you need to emphasize your top section and choose flowy rather than clingy fabrics. There are some great designer numbers at the online boutique.
Popular Prom Dress Fabrics
Here are a few of the most popular fabrics that girls are choosing in 2022.
- Velvet – This plush fabric has unique properties and if softness and texture is your thing, velvet could be for you. It is very durable, comfortable to wear, and is ideal for a formal event.
- Satin – Sleek and shiny, satin flows like liquid and is a firm favorite for ball gowns. If you are looking for a dress that turns heads, satin or silk would be an obvious choice and the best place to search for a satin gown is the designer dress boutique.
- Crepe – This exotic fabric is very popular, as it is light and crumples well and with multiple layers, you can create a lot of volume. It’s perfect for that midi length dress in a soft, pastel color. Browse online for some crepe inspiration and start looking at what is available for next year’s prom.
Of course, we all have our own unique likes and dislikes, but you should also consider your body shape and the feel of the fabric, which are important aspects of your fabric selection. Once you make up your mind, you can start your quest for the perfect prom dress that will suit you down to the ground.