A Guide to VPS Hosting: 3 Things to Know
Web Hosting enables you to make your website accessible over the Internet. The hosting provider allocates space on a server for a website to store its files. Often small and medium-sized enterprises start with shared hosting services. But as their business capabilities expand, they outgrow the shared hosting needs. This is where VPS comes in. Virtual Private Server or VPS hosting allocates you more memory, bandwidth, flexibility, and control over the server, and it is more secure than shared hosting. The features and capabilities of VPS hosting lie between shared and dedicated hosting services. VPS hosting creates a virtual environment, imitating a dedicated server but within a shared hosting environment.
How does VPS hosting work? A virtualization software, known as the hypervisor, helps abstract resources on a physical server. Thus, the users get access to an emulated server called the virtual machine (VM). Each virtual machine functions as a separate server and runs a complete OS with CPU capabilities, RAM, and disk space. Users do not get access to the physical server but only to the VM’s OS to retrieve a specific portion of the server’s hardware. Thus, multiple users reside on the same physical server, but they use dedicated resources on a virtual server to power their website.
The VPS server provider in India will take care of your web hosting needs. In managed VPS hosting, the vendor conducts the server maintenance, administration, monitoring, and security tasks. They provide you with a customized solution to help you meet your business needs and requirements. Thus, it enables you to focus your attention on developing your business and improving its bottom line.
When should you consider switching to VPS hosting?
- High Traffic: If your website is facing a sudden traffic surge, or if you anticipate growth in traffic in near time, which your shared hosting plan cannot sustain, you should consider upgrading to VPS hosting.
- Increase in load time: Your website may start, crash, or run slowly due to server overload if it needs higher bandwidth. It can lead to network or hardware failure, due to which the site will face slowdown or downtime. Thus, you need to switch to VPS hosting.
- Security issues: Shared hosting is prone to various security threats. Even though your website has a separate domain and content, it shares a directory, which links the websites on the server. It is more susceptible to DDoS attacks. The hosted websites share one IP address, and if a neighboring website conducts illegal activity or spams its customers, it blacklists the IP address and marks it as malicious. Thus, to overcome the security vulnerabilities, you should consider upgrading to VPS hosting where the activities of one user do not affect the other.
- More resources: Since the users share resources on the server, it affects your usage limits. If you require more resources to run your website seamlessly, VPS hosting is the right solution.
Benefits of VPS Hosting?
- A Dedicated Environment: You can configure the VM in VPS hosting as per your requirements. It will allow you to install the OS of your choice, enabling you to enjoy more flexibility in terms of customization, configurability, and security. Based on your needs, you can leverage the required CPU, RAM, bandwidth, and disk space as and when needed. It also gives you administrative access to manage and control the server.
- Scalability: You can scale VPS resources to meet your current needs. It is easy to scale, and you do not have to provision the resources in advance. Thus, users generally start on a modestly powered VPS, scaling it as their needs grow.
- Reliability: With VPS hosting, you can leverage near-zero downtime based on the uptime guarantee provided by your vendor. Thus, it has high reliability than shared hosting.
- Value: Compared to dedicated server hosting, VPS hosting is more affordable. It is cost-effective, as it provides you with dedicated resources, enabling you to enjoy dynamic space and bandwidth to meet the traffic surges optimally.
How to choose the best VPS hosting?
- Managed vs. Unmanaged: Determine your server management capabilities to choose between managed or unmanaged VPS hosting services. The service provider will take care of server maintenance, upgrades, and security in a fully managed VPS.
- Uptime Guarantee: Consider the uptime guarantee that your vendor will provide. Select a provider that offers a guaranteed uptime of 99.5% or higher.
- Server Resource Limits: Analyze the amounts of resources you need. Determine the central processing units (CPUs), RAM requirement, bandwidth, and storage limits. The vendor must provide you the flexibility to scale the server on demand.
- Short-Term vs. Long-Term Costs: When you find an optimal VPS hosting solution, you are likely to stick by it for a longer-term. Assess the long-haul costs for the hosting service. Ask your vendor if they will provide you with a money-back guarantee if you are not content with the service.
The right service provider will offer you an optimized virtualization service, maximum availability, minimal failure rates, and seamless performance. It will help you significantly improve your business bottom line.