More than 90% of adults have had at least one cavity. Left untreated, it can turn into a tooth abscess, potentially turning into a life-threatening infection.
That’s why it’s so important to keep up with your oral care by visiting the dentist; they’ll be able to check whether or not you have any cavities, and if you do, they’ll be able to fix it with a filling.
Are you experiencing tooth pain? Wondering, ‘how much does a dental filling cost?’ If so, you’re at the right place.
We’ll be going over everything that you need to know about the topic below. Keep reading to learn more!
What Is a Dental Filling?
Dental fillings are one of the most common dental procedures; they’re used to repair teeth that have been damaged by decay. Some of the most common filling materials include amalgam, composite resin, glass ionomer, and gold.
Generally speaking, they’re done under local anesthetic. Once the area is numb, the dentist will clean and remove the decayed area.
Next, they’ll fill the hole with a tooth-colored material, which will be ‘cured’ with a special light—that’ll prevent future tooth decay by keeping food debris and bacteria away from the space. Click here to learn more.
How Much Does a Dental Filling Cost?
A filling can cost anywhere from $200 to $600. At the end of the day, it depends on various factors, such as the size and location of your cavity.
For example, cavity fillings in molars tend to be more expensive than those of other teeth due to the fact that they’re harder to reach. Not only that, but they may also require extra equipment.
Another thing to consider is the filling material. Take composite fillings, for instance; they can cost twice as much as silver amalgam fillings.
On the other hand, gold foil fillings can cost up to $650 for a single surface.
Are They Covered By Insurance?
Dental fillings are considered to be a ‘basic’ dental care procedure. As such, they’re often covered by insurance (most dental offices will accommodate you as best as they can).
Depending on the policy, however, you may still have to pay a portion of the amount. For example, some plans may cover 70% of the costs, leaving you responsible for the remaining 30%.
For those who don’t have insurance, consider asking your dentist about a payment plan. There are also government dental programs that you may qualify for, such as Medicaid and CHIP.
Keeping Up With Your Dental Hygiene
Hopefully, that answers the question, ‘how much does a dental filling cost?”. As you can see, it depends on various factors, such as the material and size of the filling. When in doubt, give your dentist a call!
Was the information in this post helpful? Looking for more content like this? Then be sure to visit the rest of our health section!