The Holley Sniper EFI system has been around for a while, but the automotive performance company recently introduced the Super Sniper systems to the carburetor market. If you are thinking about upgrading your current Sniper system or installing a new Super Sniper, read on about the pros and cons of each before looking for carburetors for sale.
Benefits of Upgrading To a Super Sniper
The Super Sniper system has many benefits, including more power and turnability and an interface that provides detailed logs of your vehicle’s performance. A few reasons to opt for the Super Sniper include:
- The Super Sniper can handle draw-through supercharging and blow-through boosted application, whereas the original Sniper can only do a blow-through.
- The new system features boost control.
- The self-tuning ECU monitors engine performance while you are on the road.
- The Super Sniper comes in a variety of models to fit your car’s specific needs.
- An internal fuel pressure regulator means you do not need to install an external regulator.
- The newer system can connect to three pressure sensors, including oil and fuel pressure, logging more information in the ECU.
Reasons To Stick With Your Original Sniper
Switching from the original Sniper to a Super Sniper takes a significant amount of time and money. While that may be worth it to those who would benefit from the upgraded system, sticking with a Sniper is the better option for those who do not need the features of the Super Sniper.
For instance, the original system can support the same horsepower as the Super Sniper 650, so if you do not need boost control, consider sticking with your Sniper. Both versions of the Sniper can be installed with the same amount of time and ease.
That being said, you may need to make some modifications for the Super Sniper. The updated model has ignition timing control, but that requires the Hyperspark plug-and-play ignition system. If additional mods are not something you are interested in, stick with your original Sniper.
Tips for Utilizing Your Holley Sniper System
Below are some tips for if you choose to install either the original Sniper or the Super Sniper.
- Consider investing in a SBC Holley Sniper master kit.
- Instructions are not included for how to read all of the data collected by the Sniper systems. However, Holley has posted a series of YouTube videos explaining some tuning aspects and there are several web forums with helpful tricks.
- The information gathered by the Sniper systems can be used to not only fix major drivability issues, but also fine tune your vehicle’s performance. You can monitor your car in a way you’ve never been able to before while ensuring your engine runs at optimal levels.
There are many benefits to upgrading to the Super Sniper system. However, the cost and time spent modifying and installing may not be worth it to some. Knowing which option best suits your car needs and wants will help you make an informed decision before buying a new carburetor.